How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, i have joint custody of my son in Crook county Oregon.

Resolved Question:

Hello, i have joint custody of my son in Crook county Oregon. My sons mom is the cusdodial parent . 2years ago we agreed to move back to Arizona. I moved back that year and she moved back the last year. Our son went to school here all year and the same week his summer vacation started she called me and said that they have moved back to Oregon. There was no notice she was moving back to OR. I will have him for summer break in a month. Since he is a legal AZ resident can I keep him with me? Also, can I sue for physical custody in AZ or do I have to go thru the OR courts since that is where my divorce/custody was finalized?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

how long has it been since she moved back to OR?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
5 days
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
so the child has been residing in AZ for the past year, correct?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He lived here for 10.5 months
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
good, then you can file a petition for custody in AZ. you need to get the case transferred to AZ so that the court can take jurisdiction of the case. the OR court order has to be domesticated and accepted in the AZ court and then you can proceed forward. you may contact the clerk of family law court in AZ and find out what you have to file for orders to be domesticated there. I would really urge you to hire a local family law attorney if only for that part of the case and then you can probably fill out the forms to file for custody on your own if you cannot afford an attorney to handle the entire case. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions