How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6419
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wan to know if i can file for annulment myself without lawyer

Customer Question

I wan to know if i can file for annulment myself without lawyer and what are the conditions to grant annulment of marriage. Because i got married four months now and she refuse to move to my house instead she keep demand claiming that am the husband and i have to meet her needs. We have never have sex before and after the wedding and swe are living separately since then. I met the lady in a party and she lie to me that before i can have sex with her i must marry her and after the wedding she continue lying and using track to collect money from me. Now where she claim she was living, she is not there again and i believe she trick me into marrying her for her to collect money from me. Can i be grant Annulment
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


The circumstances you have stated are not a grounds for annulment under RI law. You will need to file for a divorce.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX want to file divorce do i need to search for her and if i cannot find her will my divorce be granted
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.
You need to try to serve her with divorce papers at her last known address. If that does not work, you will have to ask the court for permission to serve her by publication in a newspaper. Thereafter, the court can grant you a divorce if she fails to file an answer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how much does lawyer charge for divorce. i want to know the range just to know weather to use lawyer or not. Thanks
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.
Most divorce lawyers charge $150 to $350 per hour. I think this simple divorce you can do yourself really.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It's just four months and we are not living together, how many form do i need to fill because we do not have property and i want to know when to re-marry after the divorce
Expert:  Maverick replied 6 years ago.
The links I gave you will help walk you through the process and print the forms out for you. In RI you can remarry right after the divorce decree is signed.
Maverick and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you