How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex-husband has our son overnight twice a week. He has been

This answer was rated:

My ex-husband has our son overnight twice a week. He has been sharing the same bed with our son on-and-off for the last few years. Our son, who has high-functioning autism, is now 11. I want my son to have his own bed, and have a spare that I am willing to give him, but he says I can't tell him what to do, and if he and my son want to share the same bed, they can. I disagree. What are my options to get him to comply?

Welcome to Just Answer! My name isXXXXX very much enjoy what I do and I hope that you will benefit from this information.


Right now, with out a divorce decree or other court order that requires the ex to comply with your request, there is not much that you can do unilaterally. You first have to file a petition to modify the visitation order and ask for the relief that you are requesting. The court will require you to prove up that having separate beds is in the best interest of the child or that not not having separate beds is somehow harmful to the child's welfare and development. This will require an expert opinion such as that from a family therapist and/or a medical doctor.


Upon receiving such evidence the court can then issue an order to force him to use separate beds.



If you need more clarification or follow up information, please feel free to write back as there is no extra charge. Otherwise, please click on the ACCEPT button. Even if you have put in your payment information, I receive no credit for my time unless you press "ACCEPT".

Sometimes the law does not give you the outcome that you may have anticipated. Please understand that this is not the attorney's fault. We are assuming that you are paying for an honest and professional opinion.

Please know that there may be a delay between your follow up question and my answers because I may be helping other customers. Rest assured, I will get back to you. In the meantime, you can learn more about me by clicking on my name at the bottom left hand corner of the screen.

This information is provided so you may better discuss legal issues with your attorney. Consult a local attorney for legal advice before acting. You may be able to find an attorney in your area to further assist you at or


If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus would be greatly appreciated! Also, please know that you can always request me for a future question by starting your new question with "This question is for Maverick".


Maverick and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you