How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 13665
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 14 year old daughter refuses to go to her fathers house

This answer was rated:

My 14 year old daughter refuses to go to her father's house now after claiming verbal abuse, emotional abuse and witnessing physical abuse on my son. Two separate child therapists have told the father it's best if she stays with me until some family counseling can be completed. He has now filed Contempt of court charges against me for encouraging her to stay with me. I have always encouraged her to go to her father's and driven her up to his house according to the agreement, but she refuses to get out of the car. He even called the police on her once when she wouldn't get out. I know I am not in contempt, but am at a loss of what to do regarding her situation. She refuses to see him.

Thank you for using Just Answer.


I understand the situation, but don't want to assume anything. What legal question did you need answered, please?



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have I done anything wrong according to the court? I have driven her up to his house, but she refuses to get out of the car. I can't physically force her out!

Thank you for your reply.


Techincally speaking, legally, you are bound by the visitation agreement. The parents of a minor subject to a custody and visitation order are bound by its terms and must comply with the order until it is modified or terminated.


That said, this is a fact question in each case. If a teenage child refuses to visit with the noncustodial parent, through no fault of the custodial parent, the custodial parent lacks the ability to comply with the order and cannot be held in contempt; in these cases, the noncustodial parent is probably left without a remedy; because as long as you continue to attempt to have the child visit her father and have regular contact with him, and are not trying to alienate the father from her, the court has no more authority to force her out of the car than you do.


However, I should tell you that in my experience, the judge is probably going to lay into you pretty good about your parental responsibilities; that's typical of initial contempt hearings --they don't often impose harsh sanctions initially but will issue you a stern warning that they don't want to see this matter come back to court. Your daughter needs to understand that her actions can reuslt in your having to pay his attorney fees, and face other possible sanctions from the court, including possible fines, even jail time for repeated contempt violations.


Since the emergency hearing didn't work, you might consider filing a supplemental petition to modify cusotdy/visitation together with a motion for testimony and attendance of minor children, to ask that your child be allowed to testify in this matter. At 14, she is certainly old enough to be heard.


Please don't hesitate to reply back if you have additional questions or require more information.


JUST ANSWER IS A "PAY FOR SERVICE". Please click on the ACCEPT BUTTON for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. No payment for my time and effort is made until you click accept (even if you put down a deposit or have a subscription). A BONUS TIP is also appreciated. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: This response is limited by the information that you have provided to this lawyer. Based on the information you have provided, I have responded based on my knowledge and interpretation of existing laws. It is possible that if the same question was asked to another lawyer, the response could be different. This response is for "Legal Informational" purposes only and should not be confused with "Legal Advice" and nothing in this response should be construed as legal advice for any individual case. Under no circumstances does this response directly or indirectly, establish or intend to establish an Attorney-Client relationship. This response is not and shall not be construed as a solicitation for the legal services of any attorney. If you have already retained a lawyer in connection with this inquiry and this fact is unknown to this lawyer, this response should not be construed as impending and/or interfering with your attorney-client relationship with such attorney.

This information is limited in scope and is confined to the question asked and should not be relied upon to provide a comprehensive picture of any particular situation and you are strongly encouraged to seek counsel for further course of action, if applicable. In other words, this response is not intended nor shall it be construed as providing you with all the information that your legal questions/issues may require. If you do require legal advice and retention/hiring of an attorney, I encourage you to consult an attorney who is actively engaged in the practice of law in the area of law relevant to your legal questions/issues and who is admitted to the bar or lawyer licensing agency in your jurisdiction(s) or the jurisdiction(s) that has jurisdiction over your legal questions/issues. This attorney is not responsible for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage related to your use of this response, whether from errors or omissions in the content of the response or any other sites that I may provide to you for reference.

RobertJDFL and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions