How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter who just turned 19 wants to move in with her boyfriend

Customer Question

My daughter who just turned 19 wants to move in with her boyfriend and take her 3 month old baby with her. I have provided stable care for this baby since she was born as my daughter still wants to live it up like a teenager. She works evenings and weekends and has taken the baby to numerous babysitters and put in smoky environments which I have noticed is affecting her breathing. I am concerned for the baby's safety because I know how impulsive my teen is and how unconcerned she is about just leaving the baby anywhere. I am also concerned about her living with this man who my daughter thinks is the love of her life... I've only laid eyes on him once and have not seen how he interacts with the baby (he is not the baby's father). How can I keep the baby in my home until my daughter proves she can provide a nurturing environment for her to live in?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Unfortunately, she is 19 and you have no right to keep the baby in your home until you have actual evidence that she is not properly caring for the baby and then you can go to court and file for guardianship. However, until you can prove she is actually an unfit mother, just the fact she wants to move out with some guy or because you are not happy with here choice of baby sitters is not sufficient to warrant a court to give you guardianship, you must prove an actual danger to the child and that your daughter is actually unfit.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Related Family Law Questions