How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

An attorney wants to include a clause for child-support to

This answer was rated:

An attorney wants to include a clause for child-support to be modified in a change of custody petition, despite that the client has stated that they have no desire to obtain child-support from the other party.

To clarify, they wish to abolish child-support from being sought/obtained by either party.

They feel that other evidence of neglect and abuse are substantial but are still being advised to take this action.

Thank you for your question.

The reason is because generally child support is mandatory rather than optional. Child support is designed to cover the child's needs by a responsible parent (even a parent that is absentee or non-custodial). That is why for a judge to actually permit a custodial order to take place of some kind , a child support petition must also be included with the documentation.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you