How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FloridaLawyer Your Own Question
FloridaLawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 741
Experience:  Experienced family law attorney in private practice
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FloridaLawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a multi part question. My mother needs a new birth

This answer was rated:

I have a multi part question. My mother needs a new birth certificate as she was born in Puerto Rico. The problem is that there were errors discovered on her original birth certificate. She has always been able to use her baptism papers which are correct. The errors being the last name is XXXXX XXXXX and there is no mother's name listed on her birth certificate. Puerto Rico's office of vital statistics tell us that we need to obtain an attorney to get this fixed. My question is what type of attorney do we need to contact and can we obtain this attorney where she currently lives in Tampa Florida or do we need to obtain this attorney in Puerto Rico? Also how quickly could this be resolved as she no longer has an ID because of this and she needs one as soon as possible.

Hello JA Customer,


I am an expert here at Just Answer and I would be happy to answer your question.


I would suggest that you contact an attorney that is licensed to practice law in both the State of Florida and the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.


With an issue like this, I would suggest that you find an attorney that specializes in immigration law. I have found a few attorneys you can contact regarding your issue. These lawyers are licensed in Florida and Puerto Rico and/or specialize in immigration so they may be able to assist your mother.


Many attorneys offer free consultations and if they cannot represent you in this matter, they would likely be happy to refer you to an attorney who can. I am speculating here but my guess is that this type of problem can be fixed fairly quickly so that your mother can obtain her identification card.


I hope this helps, best of luck!


If I have answered your question, please click accept so that I can earn credit for my answer.


Legal Disclaimer: The answer provided herein is for informational purposes only and should not be considered legal advice. The information, research and opinions set forth above are limited to the facts presented in the question and no guarantee is made regarding the adequacy or accuracy of the answer. The answer provided does not infer or imply the establishment or acceptance of any attorney-client relationship. No claim is made that I am licensed to practice law in the state or jurisdiction where this information is being provided and you should always seek legal counsel admitted to practice in your local jurisdiction for representation and advice on any legal matter.

FloridaLawyer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions