Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I have two children with the same woman, we have never been

Customer Question

I have two children with the same woman, we have never been married. We evenly split time with the children alternating weeks. For example one week I will have them 3 days and the following week i will have them four. I pay all of the daycare expenses, sports activities and clothing. My question is if she takes me to court for child support for her would a judge grant it to her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.

Question: I have two children with the same woman, we have never been married. We evenly split time with the children alternating weeks. For example one week I will have them 3 days and the following week i will have them four. I pay all of the daycare expenses, sports activities and clothing. My question is if she takes me to court for child support for her would a judge grant it to her?

Response: Yes. If she files for child support to make your contribution official, yes the Court would grant her complaint for child support for you to make payments as ordered by the Court going forward. However, if the Court grants retroactive child support, you have to object to that because you have all along been paying for child care expenses and you must be prepared to show the Court documentation for your payments. In any event, the Court would need financial statements from both parents before the Court can award child support. However and this is very important, if you fail to show up for the child support hearing, the Court would go by what she tells the Court regarding your financials and award child support based on that figure. So, it is very important that you show up, bring in your current pay stubs, 2010 tax returns so that the court would know how much you make and order support based on your income, your expenses along with the mother's income and expenses. Click on the link below to see how child support is calculated in North Carolina:

https://nddhacts01.dhhs.state.nc.us/home.jsp?TargetScreen=WorkSheet.jsp

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The court would not award joint custody and make us equally responsible for our households.

Response: What is your question?