How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29824
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Friends of ours are getting a divorce after 40 years of marriage.

Resolved Question:

Friends of ours are getting a divorce after 40 years of marriage. She tells us that her husband is insisting that she change her name back to her maiden name. We have never heard anything so crazy. Are we missing something?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 6 years ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You're not missing anything. He can insist all he wants, but she's under no obligation to resume her maiden name. When a couple divorces, the woman can change her name to anything she wants (she could change it to Angelina Jolie, if she were so inclined), but she's not required to change it at all.
Lucy, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you