How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband filed an Order to show cause to modify my child

Customer Question

My husband filed an Order to show cause to modify my child and spousal support. Can I ask the Court for attorney's fees in my response. (I have an attorney but can barely afford her rates)
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question.

Generally speaking, no. You are not legally required to have an attorney for a modification petition and hearing. Therefore having an attorney is an option rather than a necessity. The courts only generally provide attorney fees in cases where the hearing is based on contempt of the other party (that is, you file and bringa successful contempt petition against your ex), or at the beginning of divorce proceedings where there is a financial imbalance between the parties.

Good luck.

Related Family Law Questions