How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31687
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a 15 year daughter that is adopted and has gone to live

Customer Question

i have a 15 year daughter that is adopted and has gone to live with the paternal
father. he is wanting gaurdianship, however we are skeptical on signing anything over,
since this is a temporary situation.

If we were to give him temporary or joint custody how do we word this statement in
order to keep legal gaurdianship of her. This is just something that is needed to get
enrolled into school and if some medical situation would arise.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


If the child is adopted, all parental rights of the biological father are terminated. Thus, the father would have no rights to the child - including any visitation rights.


However, if you give him some type of custody or visitation rights, you may be giving him some leverage to seek to reinstate his rights, etc.


I would not recommend entering into any agreement with the father. If you want to let the child visit the father, etc., you can do so without any agreement.


This will prevent you from giving up any rights and you can get the child back any time you want.

Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

so what do we need to do to get her enrolled in school, in oklahoma. What happens

in case of medical emergency

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

is there anything that says we have to sign any forms of temporary or joint

gaurdianship to the birth father for school enrollement or medical emergencies?

Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
Sorry for the delay.

If you want to give him this power, and enroll her in school, you're going to have to give him at least a limited power of attorney. I would suggest that you speak to a local family law attorney about getting an agreement out together.

You just don't want to give up any rights.