Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Im a California resident. I have a family trust which includes most of our assets in

I'm a California resident. I...
I'm a California resident. I have a family trust which includes most of our assets including our home. I have "sole and separate" accounts which include assets I inherited. I have a "roll-over" IRA in my name, which was a retirement benefit from the company I worked for for 24 years. Which assets are most likely to be exempt from the community property laws of California? Which are definitely exempt? I'm 73 years old, married 45 yrs and a victim of spousal verbal abuse.
5/1/2011
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney

I would expect the inherited assets of yours, which have remained separate, to not be included in the community estate. I would expect the IRA to be subject to distribution, at least that portion earned during the marriage. I would expect the Trust assets, if not traceable to separate property, to be divided also.

Good luck, I hope you find some great happiness in the next part of your life.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney
Hi, thank you, and just to let you know what I see from my end, there is one answer and only one accept here, so there should not be any other charge from your deposit.

Thanks again, and good luck.

Because I help people like you here, for a living---this is not a hobby for me---I sincerely appreciate your abiding by the honor system with regard to Accepting answers, by Clicking your ACCEPT button now. Feel free to follow up after, if you need clarification. An Accept also assures that I can assist you again. A BONUS is a wonderful way to tell the expert her time and effort are appreciated. I wish you the best in your future.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq.
AlexiaEsq., Managing Attorney