Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I am living in Florida and paying my ex-wife (she is residing

I am living in Florida and paying my ex-wife (she is residing in Georgia) alimoney for the past 8 years faithfully every month ($1,200.00 per month). I have recently remarried and will be retiring next year. My wife and I are thinking of moving to Costa Rico. My question is: will Florida extridite me if I stop paying my ex-wifes alimoney?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

It is not a criminal matter when you stop paying Alimony. It is not like child support. Though you would be violating a court Order, there would not be a warrant for your arrest, as it could be for not paying child support. Therefore, you would not be subject to extradition for not paying alimony.

If you have further questions, you may post them here and i will continue to assist. Otherwise, even if you have a subscription with JA please remember to ACCEPT my answer as that is the only way I can get credit for my time and information in this matter. Thank you and Good luck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know for a fact that Florida does extridite from other states in the US for not paying alimoney, I need to know if that would be the same from another country if my ex-wife persues it.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 6 years ago.

Hi

If Florida is going to extradite on a non criminal matter, then yes they can file for extradition in another Country.

But there is a huge cost involved to the state of Florida. So I don't believe it would happen in a civil matter.