How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41626
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The mother of my child who has custodial custody and lives

Resolved Question:

The mother of my child who has custodial custody and lives in Missouri is being deployed for a year to Afganistan. I have joint legal custody, pay support and am involved in my child's life. We have a parenting plan that does not address this. Does my child come to live with me automatically, or do I need court approval?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question. and good morning.

Customer: Good morning.
RayAnswers :

This is not automatic you need to return to court here and seek to modify the parenting plan.If the ex will place child with you then you can keep child pending new amended parenting plan.

RayAnswers :

You are going to need a local family lawyer where orders are entered.The court should modify custody and award you child support here.

RayAnswers :

This is something that definitely needs modification and the sooner the better.

RayAnswers :

If you can reach agreement here the lawyer could do agreed modifications.

RayAnswers :

you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.



Customer: Thank you. I will. Grandparents will likely seek to fight this, but I want my daughter with me.
RayAnswers :

Here is lawyer referral through your state bar to find a local lawyer to help you with modification of the parenting plan.

RayAnswers :

You have a better claim than grandparents as the father here.

RayAnswers :

I wish you good luck here with all of this.

RayAnswers :

If you can click accept it is much appreciated and have a great day.

RayAnswers and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.

Related Family Law Questions