How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Brandon M. Your Own Question
Brandon M.
Brandon M., Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12620
Experience:  Attorney experienced in all aspects of family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Brandon M. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

60 y/o need to renew d/l in utah, birth certificate last name

Customer Question

60 y/o need to renew d/l in utah, birth certificate last name is XXXXX XXXXX one I have gone by for 58 yrs, (my stepfathers last name, never legally adopted) every record, SSN, Baptism Record, School Docs, current Ut. D/L last name is same. What do I need to do to renew my Ut. D/L, with the last name that is all ready listed on it.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Hello there:

I need just a bit of clarification to start. Is your goal to renew your UT driver's license, or is your goal to renew your UT driver's license using your birth certificate as identification? (subtle but important difference).
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to renew with the name I have gone by for 58 yrs, my stepfathers last name, not the last name on birth certificate, it is my understanding, that in UT, whatever last name is on Birth Cert, is the one that will be on D/L renewal
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
not necessarily, but let's eliminate some of the obvious options first.

1. In which country were you born?

2. Do you have a valid U.S. Passport?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Born in Brigam City Utah, Box Elder County, currently living in Kaysville Ut, Davis County, have lived here for 5 yrs


No, I do not have a passport

Expert:  Brandon M. replied 6 years ago.
Usually, the cleanest way to resolve this sort of problem is to petition the court for an official change in your legal name. The process is not especially complex and there are at least a dozen online "how to" guides with forms that can be purchased for around $50. The basic process is that (1) you file the petition with the court, (2) go to court and get permission to publish notice of the name change in a newspaper, (3) publish according to the court's order, then (4) return to court and get the order. What would basically happen then is the court's order would be presented to the Driver's License Division along with the original birth certificate and the Social Security Identification matching the "new" name.

I hope that this helps you to understand the law in your situation. Let me know if I may be of further assistance. Thank you.