How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joseph Your Own Question
Joseph, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 7280
Experience:  I have over a decade of experience as a Family Law litigator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Joseph is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my wife and i separeated i found out she filed for a marriage

Resolved Question:

my wife and i separeated i found out she filed for a marriage license in florence south carolina with her new man or husband I dont know if they married or not but i know they filed for a marriage license is this legal we were married in muskegon michigan but for as i know we were never divorced I would i go about finding out if she is still married to me and the other man or if she divorced me with out my knowledge
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Joseph replied 6 years ago.

Assuming you have not completely lost touch with one another (for example, if you moved to another state without her knowledge), then it would be difficult, though not impossible, for her to get divorced without you knowing. To check, you would need to contact the clerk of court in whatever county she resided. Simply check on any filings in your name or in her name. Or, if you prefer, you could do a simple on-line search for the clerks website, most such sites include a search function to locate cases.


As to whether she has done anything illegal, if she has married another man while still married to you, then yes, she has done something illegal. Bigamy is defined as getting married to a person while already married to another. So yes, if you are still married and she has married another, then she could be charged with bigamy.


I hope you found my answer helpful. If so, please click on the green ACCEPT for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Even if you are a subscription member, you will need to click ACCEPT. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated! Thank you and good luck!


Also, several customers have asked how they may direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to assist you in your legal matter, just put "FOR JOSEPH" in the subject line and I will gladly pick up the question as soon as I am on-line.


I am going off-line for the evening. Please feel free to respond, if necessary, and know that I will be back on-line tomorrow.


Thank you for your patience.

Joseph and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you