How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118722
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Swdish born US citizen resoidiong in the US for 22 hyears

Resolved Question:

I am a Swdish born US citizen resoidiong in the US for 22 hyears and working full time at at 67. My wife is a Philippine born US citizen residing in this country for 37 years. Our householod income is >450,000/uear. We have no children or children from previous marriages.
We have a dear friend who is a 38 year Canadian born Filipino extremely talented contemporary dancer that we regard as our son. He has visited US for months at a time on a toiurist visa an d he has been staying with us on many of these occasions.

Is it possible for us to adopt him as our legal son?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
Adult adoptions are allowed in CA, but just because you adopt him which is likely going to be allowed, it does not necessarily mean he will be able to qualify for resident alien status or citizenship status since he is an adult being adopted by US citizens. Thus, if the purpose is to try to get him resident alien or citizenship status, you may likely not accomplish that goal or it could take many years to have it approved because USCIS investigates those cases very thoroughly (sometimes their investigation can take several years).

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you