How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118659
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandaughter is sixteen years old . She is an excellent

Resolved Question:

My grandaughter is sixteen years old . She is an excellent student and is very mature for her age. My son has complete custody singned over to him by her mother. My grandaughter is having serious problems with my sons girlfirend who lives and cares for her. She now wants to come and live with me. I raised her brother and I am financilly stable enouph to support and care for her. If my son oposes her coming to live with me what can my grandaughter and i do?

Thanking you in advance,

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
If your son opposes your granddaughter coming to live with you, then there is a big problem. Under the grandparents rights law, when the custodial parent is your child and they object to you having guardianship over the child or even visiting with the child the court will not be able to interfere with that decision. This means you have to convince your son that it is in the best interest of your granddaughter to give you guardianship based on the issues she is having with the new girlfriend, but if he refuses, then the laws do not allow you to take any action to seek that guardianship unless you can prove actual abuse is taking place with her current custody arrangement.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you