How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a 22 year old step son at my home. His mother had an

Resolved Question:

I have a 22 year old step son at my home. His mother had an aneurysm 2/25/11. she is still hospitalised. Hes a college student with a job. His mother is capable of making her own decesions, but refuses to talk to me because she thinks I caused her condition. All he does is eat and sleep. No rent,food,lights or any support from him to help with home conditions. Can I legally change the locks on my house to lock him out? He has other family members in town.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

How long has he been staying with you??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

2 months


Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
He has established his residency there so by law you cannot just throw him out. You actually have to go through the eviction process and give him 30 day written notice and if he does not leave then you have to file an eviction proceeding and the judge will order him evicted, if he doesn't leave then the sheriff is given the eviction order and will remove him. that is what has to be done. you may want to hire a lawyer to help you or you can go to the clerk of court and get the paperwork to fill out to initiate the eviction proceeding if he doesn't move after the 30 day period has expired as per the written notice. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you