How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Pro Your Own Question
Law Pro
Law Pro, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 24870
Experience:  20 years practicing family law from divorce, custody, support, alimony to equitable distribution
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Pro is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I know my ex-wife is using drugs...can I have her drug tested

Resolved Question:

If I know my ex-wife is using drugs...can I have her drug tested because I am paying her a lot of child support money and I'm worried about my children?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Pro replied 6 years ago.
So, other than your "smelling" drugs - there is nothing more?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have found paraphernalia at her house and I know she smokes marijuana on a consistent basis...I'm sure it's not around the kids but it's still the fact that she does it and she has the kids a majority of the time.
Expert:  Law Pro replied 6 years ago.
How about calling the police on her - would you do that? Then there would be confirmation - then you could make demands.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So there is nothing I can do from a legal stand point? I mean...what would be the situation where I would call the police? Just like yesterday...I brought the kids to my oldest sons baseball game and after it was over I smelled marijuana in her truck. So yes...the next I smell that she will not get the kids but there really is nothing I can do with all the laws and restrictions in a divorce?
Expert:  Law Pro replied 6 years ago.
Let me be frank with you - during divorces, property distribution, and custody issues - people lie, cheat, and steal. The court is very aware of this and sees it all the time.

As such, the court isn't going to demand something as intrusive as a drug test on the basis of an "ex" spouse who has an "ax to grind" and where some ex spouses would do anything and everything in their power to cause grief to the ex, not pay them, obtain custody, and see them completely humiliated, etc..

So, what you can and should do is immediately deny her custody of the children based upon your "smelling" of drugs - in fact, it would be parental negligence of you to allow her to take the children if she's been doing drugs (illegal or otherwise).

So inform her that your not going to allow her to take the children and call the police - let them take it from there AND if she's even charged - then you can immediately petition the court for sole and primary custody and termination of your child support (in fact she would be obligated to pay you child support).
Law Pro and 7 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you