How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas, and was divorced here 10 years ago. My ex

This answer was rated:

I live in Texas, and was divorced here 10 years ago. My ex and I had joint custody of our daughter, with him as primary. Our daughter is now 18 and will be graduating from high school in June. When she turned 18, she moved in full time with me. Her father's reaction was to disassociate himself from her. They speak now on rare occasions, and when they do, he always tries to make her feel guilty for moving out. My husband would like to become legal guardian of my daughter so she can have good medical insurance through his company. Do we need approval from my ex?

Thank you for any guidance you can offer!
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

is your ex paying child support??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Lisa! He does not pay any support, and isn't required to.
Ok, great then you do not need his permission. the age of majority in TX is 18 and therefore she can make her own decisions without his (or your) permission. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX hoping that would be the case. One more question for clarification: does the 18 year old age of majority apply even though she is still in high school (graduating in June).
Yes it does. the only issue with her being in high school would have been child support. if he was paying it her turning 18 would not have ended child support if she is still in school, he would have still had to continue paying it until age 19 or graduation from high school but since no support is involved that is not an issue and she has reached majority. I hope this clarifies. Thank you and please do not forget to click ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for my time and answers. Kind regards.
GeorgetownLawyr and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you