How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ANDREA, Your Own Question
ANDREA,, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12554
Experience:  25 yrs Family Law, Real Estate & Business Law, Criminal Defense, Immigration, Employment Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
ANDREA, is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, My mother wanted to know if she is eligable to recieve

Resolved Question:

Hello, My mother wanted to know if she is eligable to recieve pension benefits from from her ex husband ( who is my father). He has been deceased four about 3 years.
They were married for over 30 years and got a divorce years ago. And he remarried and was married to his other wife when he passed away.He had a good job before his retirement so he was getting a pension. This is in the state of nj. If she is eligable what does she have to do.
Thank you

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ANDREA, replied 6 years ago.

Hi, and Welcome to JustAnswer, My name isXXXXX am a licensed, practicing Attorney, I have 25 years experience and would be glad to help

The attorneys on JustAnswer are glad to answer questions and give information, but JustAnswer is not a law firm, so we cannot take on client representation and no attorney-client relationship is formed.


Please keep in mind that the law does not always support our position and although I may not agree with the law, I do not write the law and, therefore, cannot control the outcome, So, please remember that does lessen the time and effort I devoted to researching your question and providing you with an Answer,


The Answer I am providing is information only and does not constitute the practice of law in jurisdictions where I am not licensed to practice. This is a public forum on the internet, so I caution you not to include any personal identifying information


If your mother was married to your farher for 10 years or more, your mother is eligible to receive Social Security benefits based on your father's Social Security. As for yoiur father's pension, that was, or should have been delat with during the divorce proceedings, therefore, there is no claim to be made on that,


Please be kind enough to press "ACCEPT", otherwise I do not get paid anything at all


BONUS and POSITIVE FEEDBACK are appreciated
ANDREA, and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you