How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there any way of getting a lien removed from my house for

Resolved Question:

Is there any way of getting a lien removed from my house for past child support?? I just had an attorney go thru my case and got my arrearages settled to a new monthly payment. I have a buyer for my house, but there is this lien on it from the state. If I sell the house, that will free up quite a bit of money per month to put towards getting the past paid for. There is only about 2500 left after the sale....can anything be done?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

You will want to have the closing agent contact the lien holder in arrange for release of the lien in exchange for all proceeds above the mortgage to be paid directly to the lienholder. Therefore the $2500 would be paid directly to the state in order to permit the sale to close.
Ellen and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you