How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  25 years of experience helping people like you.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was ordered to pay child support 1 month ago. I just lost

Customer Question

I was ordered to pay child support 1 month ago. I just lost my job 2 weeks ago. I currently have no income. I was told that i have to wait 2 yrs to have my payments modified. Is there anything that i can do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 6 years ago.

So sorry to hear of your difficult situation.

I am a lawyer with 25 years experience. While I am not your lawyer and do not represent you, I will endeavor to provide you with legal information through this open and nonconfidential forum.

It is true that child support is typically only subject to review and modification once every 2 years. However since there has been such a substantial change in earnings, you may petition the court at this time.

Here is a form that you may modify for your county: