How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On behalf of my daughter...she is the unmarried mother of a

Resolved Question:

On behalf of my daughter...she is the unmarried mother of a 2yr old. The father has never worked. He has 2 felonies (drug related) and a restraining order against him - by her as he assaulted her. She has supported the baby.She is seeing a therapist and has post-traumatic strees syndrome - aggravated by the father's hostility. He has begun procedings for major portion of custody, his parents' home as primary residence (he lives with them), and child support, limits on out-of-state trips, etc. My daughter only makes $20,000. She has always carried the insurance and paid for 90% of the babies' care.What are his chances of succeeding? He's trying to prove she's unfit.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

HE is trying to prove her unfit? on what grounds??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Mentally unstable. She is on medication. She see's a therapist weekly. She is remarried, happily. She is stable. She got pregnant and had to get off of her medication very quickly. She had to be hospitalized until she felt safe as the meds were causing her to have thoughts of hurting herself. She has never had thoughts of hurting anyone else. The father of her daughter knows about this, as they had to take her over to him during this ordeal because of a planned schedule.

Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Ok, thanks. so what is your question in this regard??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'm looking for the which side the court would normally go on this. With him or the mother. He's asking for child support, 50% custody, primary home residence, 21 da advance notice to leave the state for a max of 7 days. Her support family is in Illinois.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
I have to be honest. This is a tough call, they both do not have clean records and with her mental health history, the cards may be leaning more in his favor unless the felonies related to something to do with harm to children. She has to show she is stable and fit as a mother. that the child has thrived in her care and the child has not been affected by her health issues. She must be prepared to present witnesses to testify on her behalf to her character and role as a mother. If she gets custody then he will have to pay child support and vice versa. The notice of leaving the state is standard so either party can ask for that. It would also help for her to have her psychologist testify as to her condition and the fact that as long as she stays on her meds she is like everyone else. She needs to come with as much as she can because this will be a difficult case. The botXXXXX XXXXXne is that the standard the judge uses is what is in the best interests of the child and she has to show it is in the best interests of the child to be with her. I hope this helps clarify.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you