S. Kincaid
S. Kincaid, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

In an unchallenged, no property legal separation in California

In an unchallenged, no property legal separation in California once the Proof of Service of Summons and related docs have been filed, what is the next step?

Steven Kincaid :

Thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Steven Kincaid :

The other party has 30 days to file a Response. Your next step will vary depending upon whether the other party files a Response.

Steven Kincaid :

If the other party files no response, you may request that the court enter a default judgment against the other party any time after the thirty days. (Make sure you file your Proof

Steven Kincaid :

Proof of Service)

Steven Kincaid :

If the other party files a Response, you can either request a "trial date" or you can see if the other party will sign an agreed divorce judgment and submit the appropriate paperwork. If you tell me which of these situation applies to you, I can be more specific.

Customer:

The other party did not file a response and we filed the Proof of Service more than 30 days after the Response was due. How do I request a default judgment?