NateFamilyLaw
NateFamilyLaw, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have worked with individuals regarding family law questions for 7 years
11217539

CAN YOU EXPAIN FORM 8332. I WAS DIVORCED IN AUGUST 2008. THE

CAN YOU EXPAIN FORM 8332. I WAS DIVORCED IN AUGUST 2008. THE DIVORCE DECREE SAID TO FOLLOW THE PERMANENT PARENTING PLAN ORDER. THE PLAN STATES "THE FATHER MAY CLAIM THE EXEMPTIONS FOR THE CHILD SO LONG AS CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENTS ARE CURRENT BY THE CLAIMING PARENT ON JANUARY 15 OF THE YEAR WHEN THE RETURN IS DUE. THE EXEMPTIONS MAY BE CLAIMED IN EACH YEAR." OF THE THREE CHIILDREN THE MOTHER CAN CLAIM TWO AND THE FATHER THE OTHER ONE. AS THE FATHER MY CHILD SUPPORT PAYMENTS HAVE BEEN CURRENT AND ARE CURRENT TO THIS DAY. THE MOTHER HAS CLAIMED ALL THREE CHILDREN AND I AM BEING AUDITED BY IRS AND ASKED TO PAY BACK THE MONEY I RECIEVED.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NateFamilyLaw replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to JustAnswer.com.

Have you provided the IRS with your parenting plan? Federal law says that the primary custodial parent gets the deduction UNLESS otherwise stated in the parenting plan. If you have proof you are entitled to one of them in the parenting plan, the IRS should accept that.