How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 42317
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Child support is currently taken out of my ex-husbands paycheck.

Resolved Question:

Child support is currently taken out of my ex-husband’s paycheck. He might lose his job and be on unemployment. What do I need to do to make sure his unemployment payments are garnished? Do I notify the local child support office? Do it through the family court?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 6 years ago.

RayAnswers :

Thanks for your question and good morning.

RayAnswers :

You want to contact your local child support office here to make sure they are aware he is going on unemployment.They can switch this withholding order to capture your child support.I would go on and do this so you avoid any disruptions in your child support.They should be able to switch this for you.If you know he looses job then contact them asap to alert in the need to change it over.They certainly can do this once he files for UI benefits.

RayAnswers :

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.


Please remember to click the ACCEPT button so that I can get credit for the answer. Leaving a BONUS (tip) & POSITIVE FEEDBACK after you accept is very much appreciated.



thanks, XXXXX XXXXX be able to check if he filed for unemployment? and switch it then?

RayAnswers :

Yes they have access to that information and can make the switch so you keep getting paid.

RayAnswers :

I wish you good luck here with the switch.Thanks for letting me chat with you.

RayAnswers and 9 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you