How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117361
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife has been battling over child support with her ExHusband

Resolved Question:

My wife has been battling over child support with her ExHusband for years. As a result of 10 years of litigation over child support issues, the court (county court & court of appeals) has awarded her conduct based fees, attorney fees and other punitive fees. These fees have all been reduced to Legal Judgments (three judgements that total $50,000).

We hired a collections attorney, but so far he has been unsucceful in collecting on these Judgments. My Wife's ExHusband has the means/money, but refuses to pay the judgments, just like he refused to pay child support. Many times over the last 10 years, he has been ordered to provide full discovery of all assests, income, businesses, tax statements... yet he never actually provides it and the court has never forced it. However, we have enough intelligence pertaining to his income, assets, businesses... to know he has plenty of lot of cash to cover the judgements. He reports that his debts far exceed his income and assets, yet his lifestyle continues to increase each year. For 10 years in a row, he claims to have $30,000 in net income (reported to County Child Support & and his Tax Returns). However, he has accumulated the following: Principle interest in 5 commercial real estate businesses, a $750,000 home, an ocean front vacation home in Mexico, a 32" SeaRay Yacht, an X5 BMW... he also travels several times per year.

My question is: based on this situation, how do we collect on these legal Judgments?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 6 years ago.
I am afraid we cannot tell you anything new here, you have a collections attorney and he is proceeding through the proper steps to collect on the judgments. He will try to seize those pieces of property and he also needs to be looking to seize bank accounts of the ex husband as well. However, the process takes time and I am afraid your collections attorney is going through the steps. However, one thing you can do if he is in arrears of support over $1500 is that you can file with the child support enforcement agency and ask for suspension of his drivers license and also his passport, which may force him to pay up.

I hope you found my answer helpful, please click on the GREEN ACCEPT button above for my answer. This is necessary for me to be paid for my work and so that I can get credit for assisting you. Your question will not close, and you will still have the opportunity to follow-up if needed. Leaving a bonus and positive feedback is not required, but doing so is certainly appreciated!

If you have additional questions, please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be helping other customers or taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Law Educator, Esq. and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you