How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney Wayne Your Own Question
Attorney Wayne
Attorney Wayne, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1506
Experience:  Practicing Law Since 2000
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney Wayne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sons father has no medicial problems but refuses to work

This answer was rated:

My son's father has no medicial problems but refuses to work and has never really worked. I do receive a small amount of child support from his mother. My son is 11 and is about to have an oral surgery and braces put on. I need more money. Will the courts make him get a job?
Hello. Thanks for contacting us.

You ask an interesting question. The short answer is no. A court can impose child support obligations based on whatever assets are available. Its possible to ask the court to increase the child support payment. If he does not pay, then he could be subject to sanctions, including jail time.

But forcing someone to work would be considered "slavery," by law. As slavery was abolished by the 13th amendment to the US Constitution, a court would be powerless to compel a job.

But if a court can be convinced to increase the child support payments, there is an incentive to find a job -- the threat of jail.

I wish you and your family all the best as you seek to resolve this matter.
Attorney Wayne and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions