How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Daniel Solutions Your Own Question
Daniel Solutions
Daniel Solutions, Divorce Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9934
Experience:  Practicing Attorney for over 15 years
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Daniel Solutions is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What age in Texas is it okay for my son wanting to visit his

Customer Question

What age in Texas is it okay for my son wanting to visit his dad in the summer?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for allowing us to assist you with this problem. I am not fully aware of what prior steps you have taken.


There is no minimum age requirement for a child to have summer visitation with the noncustodial parent.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry I got it wrong,. What I meant is what is the appropriate age my son can refuse visitation in the summer in Texas. He is 9 right now. Is it true at the age of 12 they can make the desicions for themselves?
Expert:  Daniel Solutions replied 6 years ago.

No problem.


There is no minor age he can refuse. In other words, you son must see his father until his is emancipated by age or law, so that would be 18 unless he is emancipated by a court sooner.


No it is not true he can decide at the age of 12. What you are referring to would be a change in custody. If the child wishes to live primarily with the other parent (noncustodial parent), then at the age of 12 the noncustodial parent can file a modification of custody petition in court and the judge will speak privately with the child and the judge can change custody by giving much weight to the child's custody (not visitation) desire.