How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27194
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i filed for custody of my grandson. I then subpoened the principal

Resolved Question:

i filed for custody of my grandson. I then subpoened the principal from his school and his teacher because they have been witnesses to certain things at school. I paid them their appearance fee/mileage. Can they get out of appearing?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 6 years ago.

They could not get out of appearing unless they could show good cause to the court, as to why they should not have to appear. If their testimony of dispositive of the case and needed as evidence to support your argument or contradict that of the other party, they need to appear. If they do not, they could be held in contempt for violating a court order and asked to appear before the Judge to explain why they did not show up. Obviously, if there are scheduling issues, something needs to be done to accommodate them so they do not miss work.

FamilyAnswer and 2 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions