How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiance is a US citizen and was married in the US then moved

Customer Question

My fiance is a US citizen and was married in the US then moved to Canada 26 or so years ago. He made Canada his home for that time. Now they have been seperated since October 2008 and he wants a divorce. He has an attorney that has told him he has to file the divorce in the states but the seperation agreement can be filed there. He is wanting to move back to the states before the end of April 2011. Since he started with the seperation agreement he put it on hold until he gets moved back to the states. His question is can he file the seperation agreement and do the divorce in the states? If so, who (attorney) should he go with in the states? Can you help with this?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  retireddebra replied 6 years ago.
Are you saying he is right now still living in Canada?

Did he speak to a family lawyer in Canada or the US?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes he is still living there but is about to move for a new job in 2 to 3 weeks. Yes he spoke to a family lawyer in Canada and began proceedings there but that was before he got a job in the US. I might add that the family lawyer forgot they were married in the US until just a few weeks ago.