How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19115
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I need your help. I filed for divorce and had to leave the

Customer Question

I need your help. I filed for divorce and had to leave the state (California) due to domestic violence. My attorney assured me she was fine handling the case even though I would only be available by phone. Since the beginning I can't reach her. I call, leave messages, ask to speak with her only to be told she's busy and will call back. She doesn't call. I found out today a court date had been changed and a new judge assigned without my knowledge. My attorney didn't tell me even though it's been over a week since it happened. My settlement conference is in less than a month. She is to appear for me due to distance and me not wanting to be near my soon to be ex. I'm scared to death that she will misrepresent me. My ex is a powerful, smart, educated CEO and will stop at nothing to leave me penniless. Please help. I need her help but filing a complaint with the bar doesn't seem a good idea at this late date.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. I encourage you to ask me for clarification, if you are not clear with my Answer.


Have you sent e-mails to your attorney and/or her paralegal/assistant regarding your concerns?


Did you give them a deadline to respond to you?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have sent emails to all three. I have not given a deadline for fear they won't respond at all or not represent me professionally if I complain.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for your quick response.


I understand. However, your lawyer has ethical obligation to communicate with you regarding your case. If you are not getting any response from her, reporting her to the Attorney Discipline is the effective way to get her to respond. If you do not want to do that, then you may want to start looking for another attorney since it appears that you have had trust issues with the attorney from the beginning. The new attorney can ask for continuance to get an opportunity to review your case. You can use the following sites to find California divorce attorneys:


California Attorney Discipline: