How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I have a dilema. I filed for divorce in florida. I am

Resolved Question:

Hello, I have a dilema. I filed for divorce in florida. I am representing myself. I had a baby by another man other than my husband during this divorce. At my last court hearing about 7 months ago I was asked in court if I had any children, I became nervous and answered no, foolishly. Thinking it would move the divorce along faster. However my husband finaly signed answered an answer waiver form for the divorce and now I can make a hearing to finalize the divorce. now I know when i go back to court they will ask me again in court if I have any children. I dont want to lie, I made a huge mistake. How can I correct this situation? Should I send in an amending divorce petition stating I have a child before I make my hearing? My babies fathers name is XXXXX XXXXX birth certificate..should i send in a paternity test along with it..or is the something he can sign saying he is the father? Also, will the court punish me for lieing even after I admit to the court I have a child and send in all the right forms?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

what was this hearing about where you were asked this question??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
During a case managment for the divorce, I had filed for an uncontested divorce with no children but had a child later while the divorce is still pending..I also was unable to locate my husband at the time and I was being asked about my efforts to locate him, now I located him and he signed the answer and I have to make the final hearing for the divorce. My husband is in Italy and will not be at the hearing.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Ok, thanks. you do not have to amend anything. the question concerned children born OF the marriage. if the child was not of the marriage you do not have to put the child in the petition at all and so when asked about children it is only in reference to your joint children or if you are expecting any children with the person you are divorcing. I handled divorces in Florida on a regular basis and i can assure you that you did nothing wrong. Leave the petition as is, since the child is not of this marriage. I hope that helps.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions