How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask GeorgetownLawyr Your Own Question
GeorgetownLawyr, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 12049
Experience:  Experience: contested Divorces, custody disputes, Post dissolution modification, child support issues, adopti
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
GeorgetownLawyr is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Louisiana, 18 yr old son moved out to mothers 6 months ago

Resolved Question:

Louisiana, 18 yr old son moved out to mothers 6 months ago while still in High School. I have custodial custody with papers reading health coverage must be carriedon the minor child, my son. Cancelled policy 12/31/2011 he was no longer in my residence. He was in accident, wrecked another persons car no car insurance, failure to maintain, dwi. Am I responsible for health insurance, bills, other auto, etc. since he is 18 even though he graduates May 2011.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be helping you resolve your matter.

Please remember there may be a delay as I may be helping other customers.

the court order stated you must carry health insurance until when??
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it states I am responsible for health insurance for the minor child and states his name.
LA law requires you pay child support until graduation or 19 whichever comes first. I pay child support. Is the health INS matter seperate since it says the minor child is what I'm trying to figure out.
Expert:  GeorgetownLawyr replied 6 years ago.
typically the responsibility to provide health insurance ends when the child support responsibility ends, which is at age 18, except if the child is still in high school it ends at 19 or once they graduate whichever comes first, unless the order says otherwise. you could argue he is emancipated to try to get out of being responsible for the medical bills. the auto bills or any of the other expenses incurred as a result of the dwi are not your responsibility. so worse case scenario you will be held responsible for the medical expenses due to your failure to keep him insured. I would take the court order to an attorney to review the language to see if any of the other clauses in the court order would nullify the provision to provide insurance past age 18. I hope this helps.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work (as you would like to receive credit for your work). Positive feedback is also appreciated, if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is not required. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice. If you specifically want me to answer a future question put “FOR GEORGETOWN LAWYER” in the subject line and I will reply asap.
GeorgetownLawyr and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you