How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

if a parent has been ordered to pay child support and he or she has not paid and has no jo

Resolved Question:

if a parent has been ordered to pay child support and he or she has not paid and has no job, no car,no phone and does not have a suitable place for the child to stay on his or her visitations. what are the actions the other parent should consider taking?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.
When a parent fails to pay court ordered child support, the other parent may motion for contempt.
The court can then sanction the parent for failing to pay.
The court can even order jail time to compel the other parent to pay pursuant to the court's orders.

Further, if a parent doesn't have suitable accommodations for overnight visitation, the other parent may petition for a modification to the visitation order to reflect that.
If there are insufficient living accommodations, the court may restrict or revoke overnight visitation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
In order to motion for contempt would the parent need to take the other parent back to court or is this more of a paper work process?
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

With contempt, there would typically be a contempt hearing.


The WV Bureau of Child Support Enforcement can assist with enforcing a child support order. A parent can apply for services at the link below.


AttorneyTom and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you