How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Attorney & Mediator Your Own Ques...
Attorney & Mediator
Attorney & Mediator, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 20012
Experience:  Attorney & Certified Mediator
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Attorney & Mediator is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son, a 16 year old juvenile, violated probation. He voluntarily

Resolved Question:

My son, a 16 year old juvenile, violated probation. He voluntarily agreed to a drug rehabilitation program. He successfully completed the program and didn't want to return home. Juvenile Probation recommended an Independent Living Program. The court accepted the recommendation. Is this legal? There is the possibility that he may never return home. Essentially,my parental rights have been terminated. We have never been found unfit, abusive, or neglectful in raising him. Can my son be removed from the home for a unspecified time? Is there a appeal process?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Attorney & Mediator replied 6 years ago.
Can my son be removed from the home for a unspecified time? Is there a appeal process?

I am sorry to hear what you are going through. Unfortunately a child of 16 is considered to be of emancipating age. Further if the state (through its agents) consider the child likely to run away or possibly continue to violate probation or if the child wants to live independently, the state will accommodate. I do understand the frustration and I do understand that the state may then want you to pay child support to raise your son. But this is the answer to your question. Can he be removed from the home for an unspecified time? Yes, he can as condition of his probation. An appeal only applies if the decision was issued by a Judge and there is evidence of misapplication of the law.

I understand this is not what you wanted to hear, but my job is to provide the answer to your question.


Please Note: is a public forum. is not a law firm. is only a question and answer site. Asking a question does not create an attorney-client relationship nor is your question protected under the attorney-client privilege. An attorney-client relationship is established when you enter into written contract for representation and pay a retainer directly with the attorney or attorney’s firm. uses the term “Expert”. I do not hold myself as an expert when I answer your questions. The information given by me is not legal advice. I am not establishing an attorney-client relationship with you. I am providing only research, resources and information only for you to be informed and educated about your particular needs and my answer is limited to the facts presented. You are only paying me for such information given.

My answer or reply is limited to your facts presented and additional information you post may not come in after my reply or answer has posted, if this has occurred please let me know and I will answer further. Due to site tech reasons, oftentimes I am initially only able to see the first part of your post, so this may result in more interactions between us. There might also be a delay in my reply or answers, as I may be helping other customers, or called away from my office or have logged off. Please be assured your question(s) will be answered promptly.

If I have been helpful, please click Accept for my time and research, this is the only way I get paid. If you need more help or clarification, please click reply. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and reciprocated. Feedback should relate to customer service and not about the law, which I have no control over. You can always request me through my profile here or beginning your question with “Attention lawNinvest” Thank you.

Attorney & Mediator and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you