How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31737
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my sister is attempting to get legal guardianship of our Mother.

This answer was rated:

my sister is attempting to get legal guardianship of our Mother. her motive is to obtain sole control of the estate ($). all other members of the family are opposed to this as my sister is a very NASTY person and this would not be in the best interest of our Mother. we would propose that, if a guardianship is deemed necessary, her granddaughter be so designated as she is the person emotionally closest to our Mother. Texas

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


Once your sister files a petition for guardianship, you and your siblings need to file an objection to the petition and request to join the case as parties. The judge should allow all of the children to participate in order to hear everyone's position and then determine what is in the mother's best interest.


I would recommend that you hire a local family law attorney in your area to file an objection on behalf of each of you.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i read somewhere that texas courts leaned toward awarding guardianship toward the person with the closest emotional relationship with the ward. true/false?

The rule is that the court must do whatever is in the person's best interest. Usually, the one that is closest to the person emotionally is the best caregiver. However, that is not a hard and fast rule at all.


A court is not going to award guardianship to someone just because they're the closest person to the ward. The court must consider the well-being of the person and who will attend to the person's needs the best.

Roger and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions