Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex fiance is a drug addict with just over 5 months clean,

Customer Question
as far as I know...
My ex fiance is a drug addict with just over 5 months clean, as far as I know. We have an 8 month old together. He's currently in outpatient and living in a sober house. He's only paid $75 since she was born. There is no court order or anything but he's saying we have joint custody. The only time he sees her is when I take her to meet him and I stay with her. Last night he called me 15 times. I only answered once. I don't feel it is safe for him to have unsupervised visitation, I'm afraid he will run away with the baby and/or use drugs. Do I have any way of protecting my child from him? He wants unsupervised visitation. I think he may take me to court.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Family Law
3/6/2011
Family Lawyer: Roger, Attorney replied 6 years ago
Roger, Attorney

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.

Unless there is a court order setting out who is the custodial parent, his visitation rights and child support, there's really no way to stop his access to the child because there's no court order restricting that access.

I would recommend that you file a petition for custody and child support to be determined as soon as possible to prevent him from taking the child.

Roger, Attorney
Can I just walk into a family court building and say I want to file for sole custody of my daughter and for supervised visitation with her father? Or do I make an appointment?

You will have to file a petition with the court for custody and visitation. The court clerk's office may have the necessary forms in its office or online.

If not, you will likely need legal assistance to get this done.

Roger, Attorney
Roger, Attorney