How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 31769
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child is 22 and I never paid child support after I was orderd

Resolved Question:

My child is 22 and I never paid child support after I was orderd to as the ex-wife tried to give up custody. I was told by my attorney If I allowed the motherinlaw to have custody none was owed. I never heard from them until 2 month before her 18th birthday saying I owed back child support. What can I do
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Family Law litigation attorney here to assist you.


Under Oregon law, prior to January 1, 1994, each overdue payment was a judgment that expired 10 years from the date of accrual if not renewed. Any arrears unexpired on January 1, 1994 and any child support judgment entered after that date expires 25 years from the date of the original child support judgment. (see ORS 25.700 -


Thus, whether you could still be pursued for child support depends on whether you owed any child support as of January 1, 1994. If so, you would be exposed to being sued until 2019.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So does that mean I would owe on back child support from 91 to 94 since nothing was redone after the first time filled?
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.
No. Any child support that accrued before 1994 is uncollectible as of 2004. However, whatever child support you should have paid from 1994 until the child reached 18 is subject to the 25 year statute of limitation.
Roger and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you