How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttorneyTom Your Own Question
AttorneyTom, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 9176
Experience:  Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
AttorneyTom is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im facing divorce and my wife has been cheating in the past.

Customer Question

I'm facing divorce and my wife has been cheating in the past. When I found out she began a campaign of psychological abuse and manipulated my doctor into persuading me to check into a recovery hospital. She denied having the affair and convince them I was paranoid etc. Since that time she has done other things to damage me, on of which was to call the police saying I was unstable. Ultimately she admitted to the affair but has continued to attack me in ways that others would not notice. I am a stay at home dad and very concerned about my physical, mental and financial well being. Do I have any recourse or am I just screwed. Many more details are available. From the divorce standpoint, my attorney tells me the court only cares about the past few months but after a split, I'm concerned that if I don't have some type of protection she will continue her abuse and will further compromise my ability to parent my boys. I've always been involved with their school and sports as well as other family duties. Help. WRY
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttorneyTom replied 6 years ago.

Even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription

I only get paid if you click Accept.

Thank you for your question!

If one spouse has suffered psychological or physical abuse at the hands of the other spouse, the victim may be eligible for a protective order. Such orders can prohibit or limit contact, serving to prevent continued abuse. If the subject of a protective order violates the order, the individual may then be sanctioned for doing so.

Two relevant types of protective orders in GA are discussed at the two links below.

Further, abuse (physical or emotional) can affect the outcome of child custody matters, depending on the nature and content of the abuse.

It's also worth noting that, if one parent has a history of belittling the other parent in front of the children, the court can prohibit a parent from making negative remarks about the other parent to the children, so as to prevent that parent from alienating the children from the other parent.

Ultimately, your attorney can best determine what course of action best meets your interests. However, you should discuss your concerns in detail with your attorney and you may wish to inquire with him about any possibilities (including those listed above) to resolve your concerns. Your attorney is there to work for you and represent your interests. If it does not appear that he fully understands your concerns, there's nothing wrong with reiterating them and asking him to explain how to protect those interests (or why they cannot be protected, if he believes that to be the case).

Please do not shoot the messenger.
If you need clarification, please feel free to ask using the Reply feature.

I only get paid if you click Accept, even if you placed a deposit or have a subscription. Bonuses are greatly appreciated, though accepts and bonuses are entirely at your discretion.




Disclaimer: By engaging in this correspondence, you agree to and understand the following:
No attorney-client relationship is formed through this correspondence. Information provided here is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice/legal services. Correspondence through JustAnswer is visible to the public and is not confidential. T-USA is not familiar with your situation and could not possibly provide legal advice/legal services through JustAnswer. T-USA does not claim to be licensed to practice law in your state. The information provided in this correspondence cannot and should not be relied on for legal purposes.
If you need legal advice/services you should visit a local attorney as soon as possible. You can find a local attorney using, Martindale, a Local Lawyer Referral Service, or a Local Legal Clinic (if you cannot afford an attorney).