How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dimitry K., Esq. Your Own Question
Dimitry K., Esq.
Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41221
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Dimitry K., Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not sure where to start. I dont want to be a meddling

This answer was rated:

I am not sure where to start. I don't want to be a meddling mother/grandparent, but am tired of seeing my daughter work 6-7 days a week to support her son. Her family status is seperated over a year and she has been working on a divorce for over a year. I gave her $2K to help with lawyer fees and that money has been used up and no divorce or child support insight. Grandbaby is now 3 1/2 years old - I dont care if they dont get a divorce, but is there any relation between divorce and child support? The father believes he is fulfilling his duties as a father because he sees his son every other weekend and since nothing is in writing he does not have to pay anything. I just want my daughter to get help with child expenses as now I am daycare and want to go back to being grandma.
Thank you for your question.

First of all there is no relation between child support and divorce. Parents who live apart while still married can still be made to pay support. While what the father is doing in this case is a good start, that does not take away from his legal and financial obligations.

Tell your daughter to contact the courts and ask to speak with the clerk. Ask the clerk for formal petitions to file for "child custody" and "child support". Once your daughter files them, she will get a hearing in front of the judge where at least temporary orders can be put in place. She does NOT need an attorney to file and can do this by herself.

Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Father have to show up and/or what if he does not? Is this a long process? How long can he carry this out?
You are most welcome.

The Father will be served and he can show up. If he fails, then your daughter will prevail by default, and she can then contact the state agency to request that the begin garnishing her husband's wages for the support required. This is not a fairly long process unless parties begin to appeal or file frivolous motions. Typically such a hearing can take 2-3 months, but it can be extended longer.

Good luck.
Dimitry K., Esq. and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX work with my daughter now and if I have anymore questions, I really like this forum.
That's wonderful, happy to have helped. Please let me know if I can help you further down the line.

Good luck!