How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102348
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently was contacted by my ex-husband, who is the primary

This answer was rated:

I recently was contacted by my ex-husband, who is the primary custodian of our 10 year old son, and he informed me he his now getting divorced from his current wife. About 7 years ago, he cheated on me and left me in the dust basically which is why he has our son, it was the best situation for him to be in at the time, and he is now doing the same thing to his current wife but wants to leave my son in her care. I don't like the situation he is trying to put our son in at all and if it wasn't for me still being 'alive' it would have happened already. I would like to get my son back and be primary custodian over him, I don't want to take his father's rights away completley. How do I go about getting this done with out it costing too much?

Sharli W.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

I am sorry for your situation. What state does he live in? What state do you live in?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
He lives in Texas and I am in Louisiana
Thank you.

The legal situation here is this. In Texas, even if the woman is not related to him, if he has lived together with her for 6+ months, she can petition for custody for him, per Tex. Fam. Code §102.003.

So she does have the right to do so, if she wants. If she does, she would have to serve you and you would have the right to respond. What you would have to do in this case is to file an answer and counter-petition to request custody yourself.

The Court decides on custody based on the rule of thumb of "best interest of the child.” Factors considered are custodian stability, financial resources, and other relevant factors. Texas Code - Family Code - Chapters: 5-153.004-153.434 et seq.

If she does not file a claim but simply "keeps" the child, then you can initiate it. The petition would be called a SAPCR - Suit Affecting Parent Child Relationship - if she filed it, but if you file it, then it would be a modification of the original divorce decree under the old cause number.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after an accept, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Ely and other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Family Law Questions