How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a mother she is 93. She got very sick from a virous

Resolved Question:

I have a mother she is 93. She got very sick from a virous and went into ICU for 4 days. My cousin is blaming me for the situation. My cousin is telling me that I cannot take care of my self because I am bipolar. I have a case of mild bipolar type 2. I have a masters degree in special ed. and I have been teaching full time for over 6 years. I work with children with severe illness. I have a good reputation at school. I pay my bills my fico is 760. I take meds for the illness and see a psyciatrist regularly. I have been managing my mother's assets and home for years since 1997. Can they just take over like this? and if so what do I do?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. Please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping other clients or taking a break.

They cannot just "take over." If they really want to take charge legally, they will file for guardianship with the Court. Adult Guardianship is when a person is not able to take care of themselves and therefore, someone else steps in. The Court will request that they serve you and you can argue for or against the guardianship or submit your own request. The Court will deny based on your stability, nohow, etc.

It is subjective and there is really no way of knowing if the Court will agree with you or your cousin, but I would venture to say that as long as you have your state under control, it should not be a problem.

I hope you found my answer helpful, and if so please click on the ACCEPT button. This is the only way for me to get credit for my work; I receive no credit for my time with you unless you press ACCEPT.

If you still need to clarify something or seek more information, just use the INFO button and I’d be more than happy to follow up to your satisfaction! There is no fee for follow up questions before or after an accept, should you wish to continue in the thread, and I encourage you to do so should you need clarification!

While the legal system tries to be inclusive of every possibility, sometimes, people are morally wronged but have limited legal avenues to seek relief. If so, please understand that this is not the expert’s fault, but the way of circumstance.

If you feel that I went an extra step to help, a bonus is always appreciated!

You can always request me for a future advice through my profile at If you do this, make sure to begin the question with “This Question is for Eli…”
Ely and 3 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You mentioned that my cousins, the ones that might seek guardianship have to notify me. Who does this them or the court? What if they don't and say they did?
Expert:  Ely replied 6 years ago.
It will have to be by them. When they file in Court, the requirements are that they notify all interested parties. Now they can lie and say no one such as this exists, and not serve you, and then get Guardianship, but as soon as they attempt to exercise it, you will realize what is going on and will have the right to file a Motion for New Trial based on not being served.

Then they will have to explain to the Judge why they lied and that - well it will not be pretty.