How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tina Your Own Question
Tina, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33167
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Tina is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Im in Alabama. The father to my 14 year old son has never

Customer Question

I'm in Alabama. The father to my 14 year old son has never paid childsupport (divorced in 2000) he has only seen him a hand full of times since then.. and not any in 2 years. We don't have any idea where he is and no way of contacting him. My husband would love to adopt my son and get this all over with. What process would we need to follow to get this done??
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 6 years ago.

I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation and am working on your answer.

You will need to make reasonable efforts to locate the father and have him served with a summons and petition since you will be requesting that his parental rights be terminated and your husband be permitted to adopt your child.

If you do not locate him and serve him by publication rather than in person, any court orders resulting from the petition can later be challenged by him since he did not receive actual notice of the proceedings. So it is in everyone's best interest that he be served.

You need to file a petition to terminate his parental rights and adopt in the local family court.

It is best to retain a local family law attorney to represent you or at least an experienced paralegal to assist in drafting and filing the appropriate documents with the court.

All the best to you.



Please press the ACCEPT button so I may be credited and paid for my time by Positive feedback and a BONUS are always appreciated.

NOTE: The law sometimes does not provide the answer we hoped it would. Please consider that I devote time to providing answers whether it benefits you or not and hope you don’t choose to shoot the messenger.

As always, I am available to clarify the answers for you. Thank you and the best of luck.