How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33384
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me and my wife broke up. I was working offshore and while I

Customer Question

Me and my wife broke up. I was working offshore and while I was gone she was seeing intimetly. Several guys. She was also having an affair with one guy from dec 08 to present. We were living in louisianna and I tried everything to make things work after going back with her three times. The fourth time I even tried but she would not talk so I picked up and left. We have three kids that I think are mine. I was making $60,000 a year offshore which I quit my job in aug2010 because I moved to california and currently seeing someone. She is in SC. in louisianna, I was told that you had to be legally seperated for one year before filing divorce and having to pay child support. Or should I say be hit up with back child support. I make $1600 a month gross now. She is also working which she wasn't. I was sending her money in the beginning which everyone was telling me to get my finances straight and she was using it for everything but the kids. She didn't even have the kids, she sent them to her sisters in SC while she was in louissiana for about 3-4 months from may2010 to aug 2010. I was wondering what the laws were in california and SC. Do I have one year like louosiana. What rights do I have in this situation
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 6 years ago.
No, you can be ordered to pay child support in all states immediately, there are no states that require you to wait a year before child support is paid.

The court where the children have lived for six months has jurisdiction over the children and child support so either Louisiana or SC would have jurisdiction over them. the California court can't order child support if the children don't live there. The child support amounts don't really change much from state to state, but you can go to and enter the info they ask for and it can calculate your child support for several different states.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you. As you know, we work on the honor system here and cannot always provide you answers that you like. I believe I have answered all of the questions you asked so I would request that you please click the ACCEPT button so I receive credit for my work and leave feedback if you have a chance. Please consider clicking "BONUS" as a nice way of saying "thanks" for a job well done, although this is neither required nor expected. I believe in giving information that is to the point, but please remember that I can only base our answers on the information you provide and sometimes a misunderstanding as to what you are looking for or already know occurs so feel free to ask additional questions or for clarifications. Please be aware that my answer is not legal advice, it is merely information. You should always contact a local attorney for legal advice.

Several customers have asked how they direct a question to me in particular. If you specifically want me to provide information for you just put “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line and I will pick up the next time I am online.

Related Family Law Questions