How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33996
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are my rights as a parent when my parents have legal gaurdianship

Customer Question

What are my rights as a parent when my parents have legal gaurdianship over my daughter? The gaurdianship was consented due to my finacial situation at the time, not because of my personal choices or being deemed an unfit mother. They are mad because I told them that I do have future plans to regain custody, and always have. They are now limiting my ablility to see my daughter and setting stipulations (such as having to only visit her at their house) that have never been a factor until now. I just want to see my daughter as much as possible and need to know how much control, if any I have over this issue.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.

Guardianship does not terminate parental rights (as opposed to adoption-which does sever parental rights). Absent a court order stating otherwise, the guardian has no right to deny your access to the your child.


Loren and 4 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where can I go or who can I ask other than an attorney, what rights I do have and how to enforce them effectively?
Expert:  Loren replied 6 years ago.
Contact the Oklahoma Department of Human Services for the county where the child resides: