How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37855
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Sarah went back to court to get to see her son unsupervised

This answer was rated:

Sarah went back to court to get to see her son unsupervised and this judge is totally biased. Her Father flew in from out of town and we had other witnesses which he did not hear. Can we hopefully get another judge who will hear our side? He put Sarah off in establishing visitation with her son and asked them to come back in 2 weeks. He thinks she is the criminal and he is. He has a criminal record of 9 counts and the judge isn't interested at all. What would you do if you were us? With this judge, a lawyer would be a waste of time and money.

Good morning,


I'm sorry to hear of your dilemma.


The reality is that there is a whole lot more going on here that you have not shared with me. No parent is completely denied visitation unless there is either a past history, or presently believed allegations that suggest that the child is in some sort of danger during unsupervised visitation. Judges don't just order supervised visitation out of thin air---they simply don't.


My not knowing what the background here is---and knowing that as her advocate you can be expected to paint everything in a favorable light as regards XXXXX XXXXX no basis on which to decide how I would proceed---which would be the answer to your only question.


As an attorney I have to work with facts. Now, sometimes those facts are dressed in allegations that are disputed---but even disputed allegations play a part here.


You say that with this judge, an attorney would be a waste of time---and I will say to you that with a difficult judge, sometimes an attorney---especially an attorney who regularly goes before the judge and knows their demeanor and prejudices---is EXACTLY what is needed.


You have asked specifically for me to answer your question, I presume because you believe that I can help you understand the law. Until I know the background and context of Sarah's legal woes, I'm not able to help.



Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How do we go about getting another Judge?
Good afternoon,

While I'm not one to typically say anything can't be done---getting a new judge is pretty much one of those things. It is simply not possible---meaning that there is no process, or case law to support a right of a litigant to change judges just because they don't care for the rulings coming out of their judge. You are stuck with the judge already assigned to the case. That is why I suggest getting an attorney who knows the judge professionally.

Would you be so kind as to Accept my Answer so that I may be compensated for assisting you? Bonuses for greatly informative and helpful answers are very much appreciated. Thanks Again,


LawTalk and 5 other Family Law Specialists are ready to help you