How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 16379
Experience:  13 years experience, divorce & custody issues, protective orders, child abuse issues
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

we were nmarried in 1983 thinking my divorce was final two

Customer Question

we were nmarried in 1983 thinking my divorce was final two months prio(per ex). because fees were not paid divorce did not go through and ex didn't refile and let met know till 5 years later. Is my marriage of 1983 legal, I thought since the divorce from ex went through that it was but a friend told me it wasn't
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 6 years ago.



If the divorce was not finalized in 1983, then your second marriage is not legal. You really should have waited until you received a copy of a final divorce decree. If you remember the courthouse where the divorce was supposed to happen back then, you should check with the clerk's office and determine where those records are kept (sometimes they are stored off-site and might not be online) and get copies of whatever is on record so you can get it to a lawyer to look at and give you an opinion -- if the divorce was never finalized, there may be nothing on record at this point (some courts do not save everything -- they just save those divorces that were final).


I hope that helps. I wish I could give you more reassurance, but simply because your ex-husband made a mistake and did not get the fees paid does not forgive a second marriage if the first was not completely dissolved.






Please press the GREEN ACCEPT BUTTON so I will be paid for my time.